Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Chasing Power by Sarah Beth Durst Review


Title: Chasing Power
Author: Sarah Beth Durst
Publish Date: October 14th, 2014

Kayla is looking forward to a lazy summer in Santa Barbara, filling her days hanging out with her best friend Selena, laying out to tan at the beach, and honing her telekinesis by stealing from every store and person on State Street. That is, until a mysterious stranger seeks her out and blackmails her. His demands are simple, help him find his kidnapped mother, or he will reveal her powers to the world. The only clue they have is a cryptic note from his mother: "Find the thief. Ask the queen. Remember I love you." The duo have their work cut out for them as they set out on a quest filled with Mayan temples, voodoo queens, and evil powerful rocks.





Cover: I like this cover, its simple, it has a nice font, and its pretty. But I'm not entirely sure how a lightbulb relates to this story in anyway. It seems to be more of a play on the title, than a representative cover for this book. So even though I like the way it looks, I really don't think it's a good fit.

StoryLine: This was such a quick read. Perfect for a lazy summer pool side read, this tale has everything: a little love, a sprinkle of magic, a dash of betrayal, and swirl of amazing far off scenery. The plot keeps you drawl in while the exotic settings leave you filled with wanderlust.

Sarah Beth Durst's answer to the question "if you can have one superpower what would it be?" may be telekinesis, but the allure of being to see the world, to sight see and drop in on anyplace I can imagine has me inclined to choose teleportation. And with scenes in Santa Barbara, New Orleans, Guatemala, Peru, and so many more, I almost wish I would get swept up on a crazy adventure.

Characters: Overall the characters were pretty enjoyable. I found myself questioning who I could trust, and what motives the different characters had. While not necessarily complex and riveting, they were enjoyable and entertaining all the same.

Parting Thoughts: If you're looking for a fun, lighthearted, magic read, look no further. With summer just around the corner, this book is the perfect way to spend a lazy afternoon or two.

3/5 Stars

Click the book's cover to go to it's Amazon page(Disclaimer: I am an Amazon Associate, meaning I earn a small percentage for the items bought through my links). Goodreads Link

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments, I love to hear from you.