Wednesday, May 16, 2012

My May Birchbox

I hadn't ever heard of Birchbox until last month sometime when I saw post around the blogosphere saying that this month's box would be inspired by Gossip Girl. The idea of receiving samples of high-end beauty products, especially if GG themed, intrigued me. So I shelled out the $10 to receive my box.

I was so excited when it arrived in my mailbox. The packaging was so cute. I had to constrain myself in order to resist tearing it open then and there with no pictures taken.

Once I finally got through all the layers to the goodies inside, I was quite disappointed with the samples. I was hoping  for a  better selection.

The perfume was packed up cute, but it smelled like something my grandma would wear. (AKA I don't like it at all)

I will never consider a headband a high-end item. While it's nice, its nothing but a piece of ribbon tied together with an overhand knot, I can make that in two seconds for about less than a dime a piece. Plus, I dont wear headbands. Unfortunately, this is the only sample that actually made a lot of since to me to be included as part of a GG theme.

The nail polish is quite small, 7 ml, but that's ok.There's probably enough there to paint my nails at least a couple times, and that's good enough for me. This is one of the only samples I actually liked.

The BB creme sample is so small, it's the only sample I didn't test out in some way when I got it. It seems like something I would actually like, but there's so little there, I'm afraid to use it. This is a real disappointment, I feel they could have at least doubled the sample size of it.

The cleanser was something I thought I wouldn't like or use. I don't clean my brushes. But since I now have a cleaner, I should at least make use of it, plus its so much more sanitary this way. I must say, I actually like it. The amount in the bottle is actually pretty decent. You only need a small amount, I've used it twice now, and its barely made a dent. It cleans really well, and while I'm not too fond of the scent, its not a big deal. I might even purchase the full size bottle when the sample runs out.

The nail polish and the brush cleanser where the only two samples I was pleased with over all. And while I've seen some other people get samples that I would like more than the ones I got, I don't think I'll be taking the $10 risk again. These samples just weren't worth the $2 a piece in my eyes. So while it's a novel idea, I guess beauty sample boxes just aren't for me.


What about you? Do you, or would you, order Birchbox? If so, what did you get this month? What did you think? Are sample boxes for you? I would love to hear from my readers! (:

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments, I love to hear from you.